Friday, March 17, 2006

Ding ding ding! New Gadget! Ding ding ding!

I’ve been reading a few camera magazines at the moment so that I can feel like I’m contributing to the process of Owen and H spending about half a grand of my cash on a digital SLR. I’d like to go on record at this point by saying that I have complete faith in their recommendations and guidance on this and it’s not often I say that about anyone.

Anyway, back to the magazines. One of them was talking about how to get extra storage space while on the move by dumping pictures on to an external hard drive and suggested the iPod was good for this sort of thing. Now, I thought that the camera interface wasn’t compatible with the iPod Video but it turns out that’s just not true. So what does it do? Well, plug the small white box into the bottom of the iPod and a new menu appears, plug the camera USB cable into the other end of the white box and click the option to start the transfer on the iPod and wait. When it’s done, all the pictures are copied into their own ‘film roll’ folder and you’ve got the option to remove the pictures from the camera so you can take some more.

The pictures can be viewed on the iPod and used in a slideshow if you want to and when you’re ready to copy the pictures to your PC it’s easy; they’re in a ‘DCIM’ folder on the iPod just like they would be on a flash card ready to be copied of by Explorer or photo software.

 

In summary; how cool is that?!

4 Comments:

At Friday, March 17, 2006 8:25:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool indeed. So I take it you'll be getting one soon?!

 
At Sunday, March 19, 2006 5:53:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool. Don't forget to take some pictures - I understand that cameras are quite good for that.

 
At Tuesday, March 21, 2006 2:29:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK Tim, you sparked my interest a little with this one, so I did a little more research. I just read that the iPod cannot display Raw file images once they've been transferred. Can you confirm or deny this?

 
At Wednesday, March 22, 2006 10:21:00 pm, Blogger Tim said...

No, I can't. At least not yet! It will certainly let you view JPEG files and while I expect it won't support viewing RAW files I'll have to wait until I get my new SLR before I can give you a definite answer. Unless you want to lend me yours? ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home