Friday, May 19, 2006

Is Your PC Vista Ready?

Do you care? If you do, run this handy tool from Microsoft to get the bad news on just how much of your PC will have to be replaced in order to get all the Vista UI niceness. Which, lets be honest, is about the only thing left in Vista worth having.


[Update] Hey, whatdoyaknow? My PC is Vista ready. I should *&$@ well hope so too! Well, all apart from the SCSI card but I think Microsoft or Adaptec take some perverse pleasure in not providing updated drivers because I had that problem when I upgraded to XP too. This time, when I'm eventually forced to upgrade, I'll just ditch the drive altogether.
Interestingly, having seen what Vista does on my PC already and how it handles the hardware, the upgrade advisor lumps the SCSI card for which Vista doesn't (yet, I suppose I have to say) have a driver together with cards like my Nvidia graphics card which is definitley supported both by the manufacturer and out-of-the-box. Is that a pre-production short-fall, lazy research or intentional muddying of the waters? A bit of each I suspect.
Incidently, I installed Vista on one day, a Wednesday, I think, and having waited about four hours and tricking it into ignoring the SCSI card (there's no option to ignore the hardware, it's either all supported or Vista WON'T install. Thanks, Microsoft, for giving me the option. Isn't it still my PC?) I took a look at it, had a bit of a rumage and swtiched back to XP the following day. Why? Well, from what I saw of a recent beta it wasn't really worth the bother. Office 2003 got broken in the upgrade (ah, the I love the smell of irony in the morning) and frankly Vista didn't offer enough of an incentive for me to try to fix it. How's that for a damning assessment?
So, until I discover something new my official teccy.com rating for Microsoft Vista is: Feh.

1 Comments:

At Friday, May 19, 2006 5:26:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They'll pull Aero Glass at the last minute, making Vista merely XP SP3.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home